Principal Secretary in the State Department of labour force and skills development The Hon PS Geoffrey Kaituko Wednesday met Kenya’s Envoy to Austria.
“Today, I met with Amb. Mary Mugwanja, Ambassador of the Republic of Kenya to the Federal Republic of Austria. She came by for a courtesy visit. We discussed the following:
- An upcoming visit to Kenya by H.E. Dr. Martin Kocher, the Austrian Federal Minister for Labour and Economy from 22nd to 24th October 2023.
- The need to tap into the readily available 250,000 Austrian Labour gap through labour migration .
- That we will do an MoU with Austria to facilitate labour migration. This will incorporate collaboration on German language and TVET training needs for the tailored market.
- The Upcoming Labour conference in Austria. Kenyan private recruitment agents are encouraged to take part in it to explore available opportunities and network for optimum benefits.
- Existing labour Market in Croatia: We agreed to resolve the visa issuance challenge for Kenyans, whose nearest facility is in South Africa.
- Amb. Mugwanja agreed to explore the labour needs of the other five countries she is accredited to , so as to facilitate skilled and semi-skilled labour migration from Kenya.
- A proposed maiden visit to Austria for bilateral engagements at PS level to iron out specific needs ahead of October Ministerial Visit.
- Establishment of a team comprising of officers from Ministry of Labour and Social Protection and Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs to prepare the legal framework for Labour Migration to Austria and to conduct the MoU negotiations.
- Liaising with ABA Austria for customised needs of their market for Kenya to facilitate movement of skilled labour.
In appreciation, I gifted her a copy of my book. She was accompanied by the officer in charge of Austrian desk at the MFDA, Bakari Chenda .”